1850s Eureka

January 29, 2016
HC.Eureka.c1854

Source: Humboldt County Collection

Excerpt:

HISTORY OF HUMBOLDT COUNTY CALIFORNIA,  by Leigh H. Irvine

HISTORIC RECORD COMPANY, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: 1915

Early in 1856 the county seat was moved to Eureka from Arcata and business revived very much the spring thereafter. Ever since that date its course has been steadily onward, until now [1915] it is a city approximating fifteen thousand population, with excellent chances ahead of it. The town was incorporated on April 18, 1856, and the first election of officers resulted in a satisfactory manner as follows : Trustees, James T. Ryan, C. F. Ricks, A. F. Rollins, J. M. Eddy, and George Graham. C. F. Ricks was president of the board, and J. M. Eddy was secretary. Read the rest of this entry »